There are opportunities for teaching EFL in Sweden but you need to be already living or studying there. Many teachers start out at adult education centres (studieförbund) such as Folkuniveristet, Studiefrämjandet, Medborgarskolan, TBV, ABF and Vuxenskolan. Unfortunately, most of these institutions are reluctant to hire teachers on a full-time basis since their student populations fluctuate from term to term There is rarely employment available during the summer months. Opportunities may exist in private language schools such as Berlitz. Many of these schools contract to teach groups or individuals at companies such as Ericsson, Volvo and Sony.

Embassy in UK:

11 Montagu Place, London W1H 2AL

Tel: 020 7917 6400


Embassy in USA:

1501 M Street NW, Washington DC 20005

Tel: 202 467 2600


British Council office:

PO Box 27819, S-115 93 Stockholm

Tel  +46 (8) 671 3110



Ü  Visa/Work Permits:

If you want to teach in Sweden and are not an EU citizen you must be studying there or be married to somebody working there to qualify for a work permit.

Ü  Requirements:

College Degree and a TESOL/TESL Certificate

Ü  Cost of Living:

It is very expensive to live in Sweden but the standards of living are very high. A meal for two at an inexpensive café or restaurant can range from £10-20. A bottle of strong beer in a bar costs around £3. Transportation is expensive.

Ü  Currency:

£1 = 13.49 / $1 = 6.90  Swedish Krona.(SK)

Ü  Salaries/Taxes:

Annual income can be anywhere between £10,000-20,000. This often includes four weeks paid winter and summer vacation. Salaries really depend on the teaching situation and your qualifications and experience. Studieförbund generally pay less. State & private schools pay fairly well and offer some stability. Taxation runs at 30-35% of your salary.

Ü  Accommodation:

You can expect to pay between £150-£300 or more for a one-bedroom apartment in a large city. ESOL teachers usually live in single rental apartments or shared apartments.

Ü  Health advice:

If your contract is for less than a year you will not be covered by Sweden’s socialized medical programmes even though you will be paying for them through your taxes.