5:21 pm - Saturday July 20, 7652


There is often a shortage of English language teachers in Norway but it is hard to get a job unless you are qualified and have some experience. For non-EU teachers, it is almost impossible to find a job teaching English unless you are a Norwegian citizen or you are married to one!

Embassy in UK:

25 Belgrave Square, London SW1X 8QD

Tel: 020 7591 5500


Embassy in USA:

2720 34th Street NW, Washington DC 20008

Tel: 202 333 6000


British Council office:

Fridtjof Nansens Plass 5, 0160 Oslo

Tel  +47 (22) 396 190



Ü  Visas/Work Permits:

A valid passport is required. U.S. citizens may enter Norway for tourist or general business purposes without a visa for up to 90 days. Tourists who have stayed in Norway for more than 90 days without a visa are usually not permitted to re-enter the country until six months have passed. Tourists who enter without a visa cannot usually change status in Norway in order to reside or work. Travellers planning a long-term stay, marriage or employment in Norway should seek the appropriate visa before departing the United States.

Ü  Requirements:

College Degree and a TESOL/TESL Certificate

Ü  Currency:

£1 = 12.18 / $1 = 6.23  Kroner

Ü  Cost of Living:

very expensive country to live in but the social welfare system is excellent.

Ü  Health advice:

Medical facilities are widely available and of high quality, but may be limited outside the larger urban areas. The remote and sparse populations in northern Norway, and the dependency on ferries to cross fjords of western Norway, may affect transportation and access to medical facilities.