The current employment situation for English language teachers is good. There is quite a demand for teachers of English who are native speakers and there may also be possible opportunities for qualified teachers in a new type of school. There are forty of these at present and they teach children in English and Dutch. The Dutch term for the schools is “Twee Talig Scholen.” Most work opportunities available to foreign teachers tends to be teaching Business English as the levels of English in the school system are very high. Schools depending mainly on long-term freelance teachers. Self-employed teachers typically work for a number of schools or agencies and their incomes can fluctuate considerably. To find work, go through the list of language schools below as well as those in the Dutch Yellow Pages. It is likely you will have to give an observed lesson before you are given the job.

Embassy in UK:

38 Hyde Park Gate, London SW7 5DP

Tel: 020 7590 3200

Embassy in USA:

4200 Linnean Ave NW, Washington DC 20008

Tel: 202 244 5300

British Council office:

Weteringschans 85A, 1017 RZ Amsterdam

Tel  +31 (20) 550 6060


Ü  Visa/Work Permits:

The Employment of Foreign Workers Act says that an employer cannot employ a foreigner without an employment permit from the Central Employment Board. The employer must first fill a vacancy from the pool of job applicants immediately available in the Netherlands. Subsequently it will be determined if applicants from other member states of the European Community are available. Only after these two applicant pools are exhausted can subjects from other countries be eligible for an employment permit. An employment permit can be sought only after a residence permit application (VTV) has been submitted. Applications for employment permits are available from the Regional Employment Office. Applications for employment permits are processed by the Employment Office only if the form has been completed, signed by both the employer and the employee, and all required material has been attached.

Ü  Requirements:

College Degree, experience and a TESOL/TESL Certificate

Ü  Cost of Living:

The Netherlands is an expensive place to live.

Ü  Currency:

£1 = € 1.49  $1 = € 0.76

Ü  Salaries/Taxes:

Qualified teachers can earn £8-12 per lesson. Tax is payable at around 30%.

Ü  Accommodation:

Accommodation in the Amsterdam area is extremely expensive and a studio apartment could cost you over £200 a month. Also bear in mind that a place will also be very hard to find.

Ü  Health advice:

If you are a taxpayer then you will be entitled to medical coverage under the ‘Ziekenfonds’ system. But you will still have to pay a premium to the health insurance company of between £6 – 12 a month.